The full text of the Globe story about the bomb threat:
BOMB THREAT SHUTS DOWN NEWTON SCHOOL
By Jamal Watson
Oct. 14, 2000
In an unsettling repeat of problems from last school year, a bomb threat scribbled on a bathroom wall sent some 1,200 Newton South High School students home yesterday morning.
Police and school officials said the building was evacuated at 11 a.m., after a group of students noticed markings on the wall that suggested a bomb had been planted in the high school building.
After a search of the school premises, no bombs were found, police said. The school was scheduled to reopen last night for a play and SAT examinations will be administered today , officials said.
School officials said after the students noticed the graffiti, the group contacted a teacher who photographed the writings in the bathroom.
The teacher notified the school principal, who in turn informed the school superintendent.
"I'm not having the best day," said Jeffrey M. Young, superintendent of the Newton public schools, who closed the school after consulting with the mayor, police and fire department, and school personnel.
"I'm sure I was hoping that we would never have to experience anything like this again, but of course in this career, the only thing that is certain is uncertainty," he said.
Last school year, the high school was closed several times after threats were scribbled on the walls. There were similiar incidents at schools throughout New England, including Framingham High School and Acton-Boxborough Regional High School.
Young said students were sent home with letters yesterday, notifying parents of the early dismissal.
"Safety is the most important issue," said Young, "but we have to be very clear with students about what the expectations and consequences are," for issuing threats.